Roofing contractor requirements to do roofing work in the state of Pennsylvania are rather minimal. A roofing contractor needs to register with the state in order to legally conduct business; this just involves the payment of a registration fee. Therefore, it makes your job as a homeowner a bit more difficult in determining which one would be the best suited for your roofing job.
However, there are some ways to find a roofing contractor that you would want to hire:
- References – Any contractor that has been doing work here in Pennsylvania for a length of time should have an extensive list of references. Ask to see names and addresses of previous customers who have used this roofing contractor, and then take a quick drive around to see what the finished job looks like. You might even stop and speak briefly with the homeowner, to get an idea of what the experience was like to work with that roofer. We are happy to provide references for you to check.
- Insurance – While Pennsylvania does not require a roofing contractor to carry liability insurance, you should only deal with those that do carry it. If someone gets injured while working on your roof, or if any property gets damaged, it is the roofer’s insurance that will cover those expenses. If the roofing contractor does not have liability insurance, you are responsible (or more specifically, your homeowner’s insurance is probably responsible). Ask to see proof of current insurance before hiring a roofer. We carry completely liability insurance.
- Warranty – In addition to the manufacturer’s warranty, does the roofer stand behind his work? This is also something that you should get in writing. This means that the roofing material itself might hold up fine, but what if there is a problem a few years from now that is related to the installation work? The company should be confident enough to cover that kind of repair should it ever be necessary. We offer a full 10-year workmanship warranty.
Another factor in determining which roofing contractor to hire is what types of roofing does he specialize in? You may already know what type of roof you want, so you want to be sure that the contractors you speak with are able to install that type of roof for you.
We are able to install just about any kind of roof available, including:
- Asphalt shingles – This is the single most popular roofing material used throughout the country. Their base material can be either a fiberglass core or an organic fiber. Asphalt is mixed in, then they are coated with mineral granules to provide different colors and textures. Shingles are popular because they are inexpensive and easy to install.
- Wood – Wood shingles (cut to a specific size) and wood shakes (irregular sizes, and more of a rough surface) are popular for those that want a more “natural” look. Wood requires some more maintenance than asphalt, and is not as fire-resistant.
- Slate – Slate is probably the heaviest roofing material in use, so your roof has to be able to handle that weight (not usually a problem). It is also the most expensive, but it lasts a very long time – sometimes longer than the house itself.
- Tile – Tile roofs can be made from either concrete tile or clay tile. Both are very durable and will last a long time. Tile can be more expensive than other roofing materials, but the roof will not have to be replaced every 10 to 15 years, so in the long run it may be a better value.
We have the experience, skills and professionalism to do a great job on your roof. Give us a call for a free estimate.
We offer professional roofing contractor in Pennsylvania: Elizabethtown, Hershey, Lancaster, Lancaster, and many other areas.